Old Navy Named One of the 2018 Best Workplaces for Diversity by Great Place to Work® and FORTUNE
San Francisco, CA – December 6, 2018 – Great Place to Work and FORTUNE have honored Old Navy as one of the 2018 Best Workplaces for Diversity. The Best Workplaces for Diversity not only stand out for how diverse each organization and its management team is, but for how employees themselves report they are really treated in their workplaces. To determine the list, Great Place to Work analyzed the experiences of women, people of color, LGBTQ people, employees who are Boomers or older, and people who have disabilities, comparing their survey results to their colleagues’ at the same organizations. All told, these anonymous survey responses on more than 60 survey questions reflecting day-to-day workplace treatment represented more than 4.4 million employees’ work lives. Old Navy was also named to the 2018 “Best Workplaces in Retail” list.
“Optimism and inclusivity have been part of Old Navy's brand DNA since 1994 when we set out to make fashion for everyone," said Sheila Peters, Senior Vice President, Old Navy Human Resources and Communications. "But it takes hard work, investments in programs and people, and ongoing conversations to live up to that commitment and help ensure our world runs right. We're proud to celebrate the diversity of our teams and customers alike -- it's what makes Old Navy fun, and everyone feel like family."
The Best Workplaces for Diversity stand out for creating great workplaces for all, and as part of the Old Navy’s ongoing commitment to customers and employees, in 2018, the brand:
- hosted a series of learning opportunities, including unconscious bias training, for its store leaders and headquarters’ employees focused on inclusive practices.
- joined a coalition of advocacy organizations and companies committed to combating discrimination and bias by signing the Open to All Business Pledge. This pledge reaffirms the company’s workplaces and stores are welcoming spaces for everyone.
- significantly grew one of the company’s diverse talent pools, This Way Ahead, through a new national expansion of our partnership with Boys & Girls Clubs of America. The program is a life-skills, coaching and on-the-job training program in stores for young people from low-income communities seeking a first job.
- celebrated gender equality and women’s empowerment on International Women’s Day by adorning the five female historical statues in New York City with beautiful floral installations, honoring the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of these and all women around the world.
- was recognized by the 2018 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index (GEI). Gap Inc., and its portfolio of brands, was the only U.S. retail company to be included in this index, which measures gender equality across internal company statistics, employee policies, external community support and engagement, and gender-conscious product offerings.
- once again participated in Pride marches and celebrations across the U.S. and major international markets in support of its employees, customers and the LGBTQ community at large.
“The 2018 Best Workplaces for Diversity are at the forefront of creating workplaces that are better for business and better for their people,” said Michael C. Bush, CEO of Great Place to Work. “These workplaces not only pay attention to how diverse their workforce and management teams are, but close critical gaps in how all their people are treated and developed day-to-day.”
The Best Workplaces for Diversity list is one of a series of rankings by Great Place to Work and FORTUNE based on anonymous employee feedback from Great Place to Work-Certified™ organizations. Old Navy was also recognized as a Best Workplace for Giving Back by Great Place to Work and FORTUNE in 2017.
About Old Navy
Old Navy is a global apparel and accessories brand that makes current American essentials accessible to every family. Originated in 1994, the brand celebrates the democracy of style through on-trend, playfully optimistic, affordable and high quality product. A division of San Francisco-based Gap Inc. (NYSE: GPS), Old Navy brings a fun, energizing shopping environment to its customers in more than 1,100 stores around the world. For more information, please visit www.oldnavy.com.
About the Best Workplaces for Diversity
Great Place to Work based its ranking on a data-driven methodology applied to anonymous Trust Index™ survey responses representing more than 4.4 million employees at Great Place to Work-Certified organizations. To learn more about Great Place to Work Certification and recognition on Best Workplaces lists published with FORTUNE, visit Greatplacetowork.com.
About Great Place to Work
Great Place to Work® is a global people analytics and consulting firm that helps companies produce better business results by focusing on workplace culture. Powered by more than 30 years of research, Emprising®, its SaaS-enabled survey and analytics platform, gives companies access to the assessments, data, and reporting needed to build a high-trust, high-performance culture.
Read our new book: “A Great Place to Work for All: Better for Business, Better for People, Better for the World.” Learn more on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.